Friday 20 October 2017

Interview of Mr. Bharat Sethi (Founder of PosterGully and co-founder of iDecorama)

https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/shrinknp_400_400/p/5/005/06a/3d7/38eb787.jpg


Q. First of all, how was our campus and hospitality of our Institute?
A.  I loved the campus. The campus is big enough.  The space that usually one person has is 0.75 Acre for themselves. That’s really huge. The space is nice, green and very hospitable. That’s all one need now days “breathing space”. Hospitality of MDP is awesome.
Q. You have successfully started and managed many ventures like ‘Poster Gully’ and currently iDecorama. So what are the challenges that Entrepreneur face and what are the skills required to tackle it?
A. Entrepreneur’s journey is very different. If I tell you about myself, I started at a very young age when I was 16. More importantly, I was working alone. The motives of entrepreneur are simple you know to grow, make money and basically be the boss of yourself. The challenges were very different to fight with one self, to fight for time. Asking yourself whether you are doing the right thing or not. The Irony is that entrepreneurship is very glamorised from outside but from inside it’s very dark.  There are days when you fail continuously and try to step back. More challenges are like team management and before that to build a right team. Money management is a serious challenge because there are days when you feel you are just investing and not making anything out of it. In one line, the challenge is to successfully replicate success every day.
Q. You started selling artwork on eBay at 16 as told by you. What inspired you to do this at a very tender age?
A. I seriously don’t know what inspired me. I was born to be a entrepreneur. For me being second was as bad as not participating in it. I always wanted to be a leader. At the age of 16, I was in 11th standard and my only motive was to be different from rest and to be the best at my work all the time. How to become different from someone who is very intelligent or excellent in sports. How to tell everyone you know that this is me. These were the thoughts I had at that time. This motivated me to do I was best in. That’s entrepreneurship
Q. According to your LinkedIn profile, you left your Job in just 4 days. What were the reasons to leave the job too early?
A. I think everybody should know their worth. Then only you can add value to any work you do. But that in our world is very difficult to do. I sat for placements, that’s also very few, due to pressure from friends and family.When I got placed and started to work, 4 days were like 4 months to me. It was horrific. On my first day, they gave me a laptop to work. And then half a day gone just drinking coffee. The peoples  were just wasting time in drinking coffee and talking  worthless. First day I could feel the negativity around me. Then next day manager gave me the work of putting data on excel for one month. Then next day I asked for a half day. They said no and I said that I am leaving.
Q. What is the difference between the education system here when compared to abroad?
A. See ours is a very theoretical setup. We focus on things that in real life mean very less. It’s very sad to say that many engineers are not skilled due to this. You are lucky to study in this institute. There are 100 thousand institutes in India having nothing. We are following a very outdated system of education. The foreign system is very practical especially when it comes to higher education. I think we have a long way to go in transforming our system of education.
Q. You have played state level football and won best actor award in college. You must have invested a lot of time In learning these skills. What is the importance of these skills for you?
A.  I really can’t emphasise the importance of playing any sport. It teaches a lot more than you could ever learn in class rooms. If you see leaders of present time like Steve Job, Narendra Modi, you see they have dynamic personality. They are magnets and you don’t become magnet just by digging deep inside a book. You have to learn how society works. And that starts when you interact people. Best way for this is to do with sports, going out, meeting people, travelling. So it’s very important.
Q. In one your videos, you said that honesty is the skill you look forward in an individual. If in a situation a person is extremely talented but not much honest, how would you deal ?
A. Doesn’t work at all. I have so many bad incidents, i give you a small example. I have hired two people and we were small unit at that time just around 25 people,and i was sitting across these two guys(from top institutions of the country) and at morning 10’o clock , i heard howling in my office and when i look around, these two people are fighting with each other and one had slapped the other one. They both are talented people but their social skills were zero, maybe negative !! They couldn’t properly communicate with each other. That’s where i realized, Talent is ok but ethics takes you a long way. You can make their talent skills from 7 to 9 as a leader but you can’t improve their ethical skills. This also changed my hiring procedure.
Q. One simple question, what Tedx is according to you ?
A. It open doors for everybody in this world who wants to get motivate. I think what you need at the end of the day,if you look at somebody around any part of the world what they need is some motivation, some broader mindset, some positive thinking, some problem solving, that’s the day well spent. And i think Ted platform has been doing that for a long time. Every person needs some impacts in life, and every person you listen they change the way you think. These talks are very unintentional , maybe i am saying something that will change your life. You should have been learning whole of your life, doesn’t matter age, doesn’t matter position and doesn’t matter your social life !
Q. Sir, what is the importance of tedx platform to you ?
A. I have been always learning something from my life, that’s what my attitude is towards life. Now i am learning something from you people sitting over here. I don’t need any inspiration to tell me that this is right way, i don’t need any steve jobs or any god to motivate me. You should learn on daily basis from normal people. Also some talks have changed my life in a way. There were many instances in my life when i was very bogged down by all the weaknesses, pressure and stress. In one of the talks, i heard one line which has changed a lot for me, he said “When you hit rock bottom, anything above that is good”, so hit rock bottom in life,don’t be afraid of doing that, there’s nothing to lose. And tedx is providing that sort of learning.


Interviewed and edited by-
Daksh Berry and Rishabh Patel

No comments:

Post a Comment